5 Powerful Ways Every Sales Pro Should Start Their Day
by Ryan Taft
We all experience “off” sales days. You know the type of day I am talking about. It’s the day where no matter what techniques you attempt, they all seem to fall flat. As the day progresses, it just seems to get worse.
There are many potential root causes for “off” days. Perhaps you woke up on the wrong side of the bed or argued with your spouse. Maybe your sales manager told you to get three sales this week or month or else.
Whatever the reason, here are five ways every sales pro should start their day for maximum impact…
1. Be Grateful If you are in sales, you are in the best profession in the world. Seriously. Where else can you enjoy new experiences every day, meet tons of new people, help change lives and basically write your own check in the process?
Let’s be grateful for the opportunity we have a hold of. Selling is a noble profession and you are fortunate to hold your position.
In addition to being thankful for being in sales, a great way to start the day is to think of ten things you are grateful for in your life. This is especially important to do when you wake up in a bad mood.
2. Future Pace Your Day As humans, we have the unique ability to project ourselves into the future and in the process, change our current physical state. By visualizing the goals you want to achieve, you will actually change your current mood and feel more engaged in your own success.
Practice seeing yourself making sales and you are more likely to do just that.
3. Eliminate Distractions Nothing can prolong an off day more than distractions. Shut off your email, close Facebook, stop chatting with other sales people and you will open yourself up to do step four…
4. Get Proactive with Your IGAs IGAs are Income Generating Activities. Start your day by doing the tasks that make sales.Follow up calls, asking for referrals, cold calling, etc.
You know what to do and once you have gotten your head on straight and eliminated distractions, you will be far more productive and far more profitable.
5. Develop a Pre-Shot Routine Many professional golfers have a pre-shot routine. Before taking their shot, they will go through the motions of the shot and see it happening. Although similar to the future pace concept above, the pre-shot routine is something you execute before each individual sales call.
Just because you start your day right doesn’t always mean there won’t be bumps in the road. The pre-shot routine helps you to get refocused throughout the day.
If you have ever watched the movie American Beauty with Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening, there is a scene where Annette Bening’s character is getting ready to show a home as a Realtor®. Her pre-shot routine is to tell herself over and over that she will “sell this house today”.
Develop a pre-shot routine that gets you back on track and making sales.
Implementing these five strategies will ensure that YOU are not the reason someone doesn’t purchase your product or service. And it’s when you give yourself the best shot to change someone’s world.
Jeff Shore’s brand-new video series 10 Closing Truths.
Sign up below to discover what closing IS and what it SHOULD BE.